Diabetes camps help people affected by diabetes lead healthier, happier, and more productive lives through good diabetes management.
The Diabetes Education and Camping Association (DECA) provides leadership and education to better enable diabetes camps to fulfill this purpose.
The Diabetes Education and Camping Association (DECA) was established in 1997 to:
- Promote communication
- Provide Education
- Share Resources
- Serve as a worldwide voice to advance diabetes camping programs that meet the needs of individuals and families
- Provides leadership in diabetes medical management and nutrition education combined with outdoor recreational programs
- Maintains an international database of diabetes camping programs
- Serves as a resource clearinghouse and networking center for diabetes camping and youth organizations
The DECA organizes an annual international camping conference.
- In the odd-numbered years (2005, 2007, etc.) the conference will focus on diabetes camp staff from 18 years of age and up.
- In the even numbered years (2006, 2008, etc.) the conference is organized to serve our full diabetes camping community and has workshops streamed for Medical/Dietary team members, Program staff, Administrators, and Corporate sponsors.
The goal of all of our conferences is to:
- Promote learning about quality camping programs
- Teach leaders about current diabetes treatment and research
- Share experiences, all to better serve families and children affected by diabetes